Described by director Jacques Demy as ‘a film insong’, the visually intoxicating THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG pays homage to the Hollywood musical in this masterpiece of French New Wave cinema.
Guy Foucher (Nino Castelnuovo), a 20-year-old French auto mechanic, has fallen in love with 17-year old Geneviève Emery (Catherine Deneuve: Belle deJour), an employee in her widowed mother’s chic but financially embattled umbrella shop. On the evening before Guy is to leave for a two-year tour of combat in Algeria, the pair share a passionate night. Geneviève becomes pregnant and then must choose between waiting for Guy’s return or accepting an attractive offer of marriage from a wealthy diamond merchant (Marc Michel: Lola).
• Virginie Ledoyen on The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
• Geoff Andrew on The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
• The World of Jacques Demy – 90 min documentary
• Once Upon A Time…The Umbrellas of Cherbourg – 50 min documentary
• The Restoration of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
• Audio Interview with Catherine Deneuve
• Stills Gallery
• Original 1963 Trailer
• 2013 Trailer