One of the most important and inﬂ uential ﬁ lm makers in cinematic history, Akira Kurosawa directed 30 ﬁ lms in a career spanning 57 years. His ﬁ nal masterpiece, RAN has been beautifully restored in 4k, approved by Director of Photography Shôji Ueda. A reimagining of Shakespeare’s King Lear set in feudal Japan, RAN tells the story of Lord Hidetora Ichimonji (Tatsuya Nakadai – Yojimbo, Kagemusha) an aging warlord who, after spending his life consolidating his empire, decides to abdicate and divide his Kingdom amongst his three sons Taro (Akira Terao - Letter from the Mountain, Dreams), Jiro (Jinpachi Nezu – The Man in White, Red Shadow: Akakage) and Saburo (Daisuke Ryû – Tôno Monogatari, Gojo reisenki: Gojoe). This leads to a brutal and bloody war between the brothers for absolute power of the kingdom.
DISC 1: Feature
• A.K. –FEATURE LENGTH CHRIS MARKER DOCUMENTARY ON AKIRA KUROSAWA
• INTERVIEW WITH THE DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY – SHÔJI UEDA
• INTERVIEW WITH MS MIEKO HARADA
• INTERVIEW WITH MICHAEL BROOKE – AUTHOR/JOURNALIST
• STAGE APPEARANCE AT TOKYO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL 2015
• RAN: THE RESTORATION